MPs reject reduction in funding, agree to pay debts

Greece's political parties revealed on Tuesday that they are not willing to accept a reduction in the amount of state funding they receive, but are prepared to accept a chunk of that money going straight toward paying off their large debts.

The issue of party funding was at the center of a debate between MPs who sit on Parliament’s institutions committee.

It was revealed last week that parties owe some 240 billion euros to banks, despite a regular rise in the state funding they receive.

Last year, they were awarded 54 million euros of taxpayers’ money.

PASOK and New Democracy favored a process whereby parties would receive 60 percent of their funding directly with the other 40 percent going toward repaying their loans.

Εγγραφείτε στο newsletter μας

Ενημερωθείτε πρώτοι για τα τελευταία νέα, αποκλειστικά ρεπορταζ και ειδήσεις απο όλο τον κόσμο