Girl, 13, dies from inhaling stove fumes at home in Thessaloniki

Girl, 13, dies from inhaling stove fumes at home in Thessaloniki

A 13-year-old girl has died in Thessaloniki after inhaling fumes from a makeshift stove in her house, which did not have electricity.

Authorities said they were called to a home in the Xirokrini neighborhood of the northern city at around 11 p.m. on Sunday. They found that the teenager was already dead. Her 54-year-old mother is thought to have lost consciousness before regaining her senses long enough to call for help.

The brazier was the apartment’s only form of heating and it is thought the girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Star TV reported that the apartment's electricity had been cut off due to unpaid bills totaling around 1,000 euros.

The TV station also reported that the girl's mother was unemployed. The 13-year-old was of Serbian nationality. Her mother was taken into custody.

Πηγή: ekathimerini.com

Εγγραφείτε στο newsletter μας

Ενημερωθείτε πρώτοι για τα τελευταία νέα, αποκλειστικά ρεπορταζ και ειδήσεις απο όλο τον κόσμο