The 27-year-old driver who killed three people on Petrou Ralli Street in Athens last week was remanded in custody on Friday.

The driver, an Albanian national, told authorities that the accident was caused by him suffering an epileptic fit. He said that he lied about his epilepsy to get a driving permit. The public prosecutor recommended that the driver be released on bail but a council of judges decided Friday that he should be held in custody until he stands trial.

The 27-year-old lost control of his Smart car on the busy street and knocked down several pedestrians. A police officer was among those killed.