ENGLISH

Power utility union announces rolling 48-hour strikes

Δημοσίευση 11 Ιουνίου 2011, 13:12 / Ανανεώθηκε 27 Ιουνίου 2013, 14:55
Power utility union announces rolling 48-hour strikes
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp

The Greek power utility's union GENOP on Friday announced its intention to launch a series of rolling 48-hour strikes in protest against plans to further privatise the Public Power Corporation (PPC).

The date for launching the strike action will be decided on Saturday, after a further meeting of the GENOP's board. The head of GENOP Nikos Fotopoulos clarified, however, that the strikes would start "several days" before June 28.

The Medium-Term Fiscal Strategy programme calls for the sale of 17 percent of PPC shares on the stock market or the sale of PPC assets such as power plants, while the state will retain control of its management.

The state sector currently controls 51 percent of PPC shares and the remaining 49 percent have already been sold on the stock market. The privatisation process is expected to be completed before the end of 2012.

The Greek power utility's union GENOP on Friday announced its intention to launch a series of rolling 48-hour strikes in protest against plans to further privatise the Public Power Corporation (PPC).

The date for launching the strike action will be decided on Saturday, after a further meeting of the GENOP's board. The head of GENOP Nikos Fotopoulos clarified, however, that the strikes would start "several days" before June 28.

The Medium-Term Fiscal Strategy programme calls for the sale of 17 percent of PPC shares on the stock market or the sale of PPC assets such as power plants, while the state will retain control of its management.

The state sector currently controls 51 percent of PPC shares and the remaining 49 percent have already been sold on the stock market. The privatisation process is expected to be completed before the end of 2012.